Hello! Thank you for taking an interest in reading my published works. Please click on the links below to read a sampling of my writing available on-line. Alternatively, I invite you to view my writing portfolio on Contently.
You might also be interested in 9 Lives: The Life in 10 Minutes Anthology, in which one of my short creative non-fiction pieces appears, as well as in Our Virginia, a collection of poetry including two of my poems.
The Chicken Soup series of books provides encouraging, real-life tales (or should I say “tails?”) of people and animals overcoming challenges, surmounting odds, learning life lessons, etc.
- The Reward
Freedom with Writing is a resource for all writers. In a regular newsletter, they compile dozens of writing and publishing opportunities for blogs, websites, articles, contests, anthologie, etc. They also publish informative books for writers.
Originally a print magazine known as Virginia-Maryland-Washington DC Dog, Everyday Dog Magazine is now an online web and social media platform for dog lovers and dog professionals.
- Richmond, Virginia, is for Dog Lovers
- Pet Preparedness: A Disaster Plan for Dogs
- Including Your Dog in Your Wedding: Important Things to Consider
Based out of Chester, Virginia, The Village News is published weekly and covers “the stories that mean the most to our readers…. Editorial focuses on school events and news, local sports, community events and announcements, civic groups and club news, local politics, local social issues, and anything that is affecting the daily lives of our readers.”
- Former teachers walk through life together
- TDHS grad nets success: Blankenbecler makes name for himself at another Chesterfield school
- World traveler: TDHS grad enjoys helping others
- Puzzle mania? Chester man builds puzzle magazine
- Running helps woman cope with cancer
- Faith and gratitude spur Moody to help others
- Bradbury a man of many parts: County engineering employee also a chaplain, announcer at L.C. Bird
- Preschool teacher enjoys taking care of pets
- Art educator overcomes domestic abuse
- Local architectural engineer is an artist and writer
- In the Alaskan bush: Local reading specialist and son summer up north
- From the Alaskan bush to Chester: Former canine TV star, sled dog finds a home
- Overcoming adversity: Mother, daughter strengthen each other through running and writing
- Vietnam War veteran found humor in darkest hours
Mother Earth Living features articles, tips, tricks, and information for living our best lives in harmony with the natural environment.
The Extra Mile is powered by The Harford, and features lots of useful information about insurance, as well as about wellness, home, family, and lifestyle.
- Six Retirement Hobbies for the Young at Heart
- Travel Apps to Download Before Your Next Trip
- The Benefits of Volunteering in Retirement
- Smart Plate: 10 Foods That Support a Healthy Mind
- Surprising Ways to Repurpose 10 Common Kitchen Waste Items
- Nine Money-Saving Tactics and Tools to Stay Cool
- Your Guide to an Eco-friendly Home
- Low-Water Gardening for Dry Climates
- 10 Unique Towns to Retire to: Part 3
League is a health and wellness company that offers some pretty cool benefits and programs. Their blog features all kinds of stories, covering topics ranging from how you can be healthier at work, to how health benefits impact the workplace.
The Times-Dispatch is Virginia’s capital city newspaper. My work has appeared in their “In My Shoes” and “My Life” columns.
- Fly Away Home
- Finding peace in nature
- When snow falls in Richmond
- Just spending time together can make a day special
- The things I would miss if I slept in 90 minutes later
- A little flexibility goes a long way toward happiness
- Savor the Sweet
- For a Soldier
- Finding marriage wisdom in a taxicab trip
ScoutKnows.com is an excellent resource for pet parents (like me!). If there’s a dog (or two or three!) in your life, you might want to read the articles below–as well as many others available on ScoutKnows.com.
- The Benefits of Walking Your Dog
- How to Make your Dog Walk Great
- Best No-Pull Dog Harnesses
- Best Time to Get a Puppy
- What You Need to Know About Puppies and Worms
- Best Dog Bath Time Products
- What to Look for in a Dog Groomer
- Bringing a Dog Home to a Cat
- Should I Get A Purebred or Mixed Dog? How to Decide
- How to Read a Dog’s Body Language
- Health Benefits of Dog Ownership
- Best Gear for Traveling with Your Dog
- Bringing Home a Baby to Your Fur Baby
- How to Weather the Winter with Fido
- Potty Training your Pup
- Finding the Right Dog Walker
- Introducing a New Dog to your Current Dog
- How to Stop your Dog from Licking its Paws
- Gift Guide: The Best Gifts for Dog Parents
- Finding the Right Dog Sitter
- Dog Food Ingredients: The Basics
- How to Get Legal Ownership of Your Dog
- Your Guide to the Best Fresh Dog Food Delivery Services
- A Raw Diet for Rover: the Basics
- Food Breakdown: Dog Food Superingredients
- ScoutKnows Insurance Buyer’s Guide
- A Sticky Situation: Getting Gum of out Fido’s Fur
- The Dog Days of Summer: Keeping your Dog Safe in Hot Weather
- Give a Dog a Bone…Maybe Not: What to do if your Dog Eats Chicken Bones
- Let Sleeping Dogs Lie: The Best L.L. Bean Dog Beds for your Dog
- How Pet Insurance Covers Tumors in the Spleen
- Protecting Your Dog’s Health: Vaccination Schedule
- The Holliest-Jolliest Christmas Pajamas for your Dog
- The Best Dog-Proof Trash Cans
Sweatpants and Coffee is a self-care website that touts itself as being “a bastion of comfort and sanity in an often uncomfortable world.” Their articles are uplifting, informative, and engaging.
Although no longer in circulation, writeHackr was a digital magazine geared towards writers of all kinds.
Life in 10 Minutes is a writing workshop group in Richmond, Virginia. It’s also a book and a school of writing. It’s inclusive, encouraging, and unifying. The site publishes pieces written in a mere 10 minutes.
- How to Eat Dark Chocolate: A Lesson in Living
- Spider I: New Beginnings
- The Eclipse
- The Fear of Elevators
Bozeman Magazine is both a print and digital publication that features local art and writing.
This literary magazine is geared for teens and young adults. Though several of my poems have appeared in Cicada, the first literary magazine to feature my writing, only one is available online.
This independent newspaper is owned by the First Church of Christ, Scientist. It prides itself on fair and balanced presentation of news around the world.
In addition to maintaining Mind the Dog Writing Blog, I am a contributor at mytrendingstories.com. To read articles I have written related not only to writing, but also to life, life coaching, health and wellness, family, relationships, animals, teaching, etc., please visit my page by clicking here. My bio will be the first thing you see, and if you scroll down, you’ll find my various articles and essays. If you like what you read, please follow my page there, as well!